City of Pacific Grove, CA

Community Development Director

Filing Deadline: July 30, 2021
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Carmen Valdez

Bob Murray & Associates
1544 Eureka Road, Suite 280 • Roseville, CA 95661
(916) 784-9080 • Fax (916) 784-1985
apply@bobmurrayassoc.com

Detailed Description : PDF

The City of Pacific Grove combines an unparalleled quality of life with an ambience of charm, grace, and beauty. Located on the very tip of the scenic, tree-shrouded Monterey Peninsula, Pacific Grove boasts a beautiful, fully accessible coastline. The community encompasses a total of less than three square miles, with more than 3.5 miles of beaches, rocky outcroppings, and shoreline parks. Primarily a residential community, Pacific Grove has a population of 15,698 and over 1,300 registered historic homes and other structures.

The ideal candidate will be an experienced urban planning professional who is able to provide high quality customer service working alongside a small staff of conscientious and dedicated employees, as well as an engaged Planning Commission, Historic Resource Commission and Architectural Review Board. The ideal candidate will have knowledge and experience of current and advanced planning strategies and techniques, an understanding and appreciation of the importance of economic development to the local economy, and respect for the significance of historic preservation to the unique character of Pacific Grove. The ideal candidate will have the ability to address important unsolved challenges facing the community, particularly in the areas of affordable housing and water. Experience with the California Coastal Commission and a Local Coastal Plan is highly desirable. Exceptional interpersonal skills, strong leadership capabilities, high ethical standards, and a willingness to actively engage and connect with the municipal organization and community is a must.

A Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, or related field and seven (7) years of extensive, progressively responsible supervisory and administrative experience, preferably in a municipal community development department or other public agency; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience is required. A Master`s Degree and/or professional certifications in one or more related fields are desirable as well experience in economic development. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification is also highly desirable.

The annual salary range for this at-will executive position is $124,176 – 166,400 plus a 3% management incentive, dependent upon qualifications. Additionally, the selected candidate will enjoy an excellent benefits package including CalPERS retirement (2% at 55 for “Classic” members and 2% at 62 for PEPRA). The employee contribution toward CalPERS is currently 7% for Classic plus 5% cost share (for a total of 12%) and 6.75% for PEPRA. The City also offers an attractive benefits package.